Behind the Scenes Notes
- Another small detail I left out of the video was that Snapchat contacted me maybe a week after I created the account. Which is a bit strange, but it could have just been a coincidence.
- I was bummed out that the recruiter was pretty quick to shut me down. But after few days I spoke with a friend who put me in contact with a programmer that became the person to help me work on the idea.
- I spent roughly a month working with the programmer, we brainstormed and fleshed out ideas while trying to figure out a simple and effective way to demonstrate my idea so I could easily pitch it to snapchat.
- I also wanted the idea to be safe, which is why the method for capturing ghosts was simply to take a picture. I didn't want players to become a hazard to others or endanger themselves.
- If a player places ghosts in dangerous places repeatedly they will have their privileges revoked. Players can report ghosts that are breaking the rules. Also, cemeteries and other historical landmarks would be off limits and public locations would be able to opt out of the game.
- I wanted the app to be tied directly to snapchat, to be unmistakably Snapchat. Which is why the first thing I thought was, "The idea has to be centered around the mascot". The ghost isn't the only option, players could use their bitmoji, or any other Snapchat approved emojis.